Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Brand New Places

So Sunday evening, after my last post, I had a very good time meeting and being the guest of my sister's friends who moved out here last year. They had lived at the same apartment complex as my sister in Everett (there's a Navy base in Everett). So as I was chatting with Andrea last week I realized it would be a golden opportunity to have a fun Sunday evening if I could spend it with them. And of course, it worked out just fine. They came and picked me up (and signed me out of my barracks, becoming my "liberty buddies") and we had a great evening. The kids gave me a grand tour, I met their big, salt & pepper-colored bunny (forgot it's name...) and their cat Rodney (after the ship FFG Rodney M. Davis). The kids were full of energy, and that was fun... we played a couple games and then enjoyed spaghetti for dinner. Didn't have a ton of time, but what we had was very nice indeed and it lifted my spirits considerably.

But now it's the day before Thanksgiving, and I have much to be thankful for. My new ship is spectacular compared to my first, I've finally started school (and I really like it), and I'm adapting just fine to the changes. We get 15 minute breaks every so often in school, and instead of spending all my money on the vending machines, I get time to read from my pocket Bible. I've found it very nice to have since there is always some time or other that we're just sitting around waiting for something.

So I'm on break for the rest of the day now. We had early release from classes because of the holiday. Don't quite know what to do with myself, mostly because I'm pretty tired. I think I shall indulge in more of the Bible after I am done computering. :)

Jp

3 comments:

Thesauros said...

Hey Jen, I just noticed something in your profile that became important to me this year. "I'm learning to love God and my neighbour," That of course is a command from way back in the Old Testament. But Jesus said, "I give you a new command, love others AS I HAVE LOVED YOU.

It took me a long time to understand what was new about what He said - well - here it is. We can love our neighbour as ourselves, and that is good, but even that is less than the totally unselfish manner in which Jesus loves.

Anyhow, may God bless you in your studies with His mercy and grace an love and forgiveness.

Rodney said...

At least you remembered the cat's name. :)

niferjen said...

It was easy to remember for some reason... :)