Thursday, March 18, 2010

First Birthday

The Preliminary Party

The ladies at work are so nice. Every birthday we go out and celebrate, and today we went out for mine in advance of next Thursday, since one of my coworkers will be unavailable then. We went to our regular haunt, Coho Cafe in downtown Redmond. Some people tried new things! We all have our regular favorites, and I had one of mine, the Northwest Seafood Fettuccine. It's in an Alfredo sauce with hunks of fish... I think it's halibut, shrimp, scallops, and sun-dried tomato. Mmmm. And since the restaurant gives you a dessert to share if it's your birthday, I had the baked apple crisp with ice cream and caramel on the side. Oh, gosh, that was good.

At about 4:30 I remembered about Jazzercise being at 5:30, and I hadn't brought workout clothes with me... this makes for two weeks in a row I've had to go back home and quick change and then go a little further into Redmond for the hour-long class. It was a particularly hard set today, and I felt great afterwords. I took myself out for a veggie sandwich at Panera, then came home, took a shower, then washed my bed and continued reading in Meg's dissertation. I even got to the part where she mentions Rupert and Linda in a footnote! :)

On the drive back home at 7pm as I came down 132nd St., the sun was sitting just on top of the Olympic mountains in the distance. Thin, wispy clouds melted into a golden sky above the impressive peaks. I love how you can see just the one mountain if you look west at 132nd square. It's one peak that rises out of the road as it slopes up, keeping the following stoplight out of view. It's a view I savor, especially with a sunset like today's.

Jp

1 comment:

niferjen said...

It's the part of the dissertation (about Truth in Fiction) where she's talking about authors and fans and fanfiction, and how it's only whatever the author says about his story that is truly part of the story, even though fans may know more about the story than the author.

And I quote the footnote:
"For example, it is legendary among fans of the short-lived cable television series Remember WENN that the author, Rupert Holmes, would check the website of a fan, Linda Young, in order to remind himself of which company sponsored which serial in the show. (It was set in a radio station). Young also wrote fanfiction, which can be found, along with the information about sponsors used by Holmes, at www.rememberwenn.org.