Saturday, June 27, 2009

Radio Convention Day Two, Part One

Well, we're on a break right now for a couple minutes! Don't know how far I'll get as last night it took me a couple hours to compose and post everything... lol

So this morning my alarm when off on time, but I fell asleep again, as if it was a work day :) I did miss the opening program again, but made it in time for the first real performance, which was a recreated, live radio performance of "The Shadow"! It was thrilling and chilling, for certain. :) Some of the guest stars performed with REPS members... and I heard someone talking that 'the Shadow's' laugh was really well done... again, this was the first time I've heard an episode.

Right after this was an interview with guest Tommy Cook, speaking on his days with Arch Oboler's radio program back in 1939 and beyond. My goodness, this guy was in "Night Passage" with Jimmy Stewart! I love that movie!

In the next room, immediately following, Groucho Marx and Al Jolston had a comedy sketch. Well, more accurately, Frank Ferrante and Eddie Carroll. But it really was funny! And then they did a recreation of "You Bet Your Life", another mock gameshow. Eddie Carroll came back in the end as Jack Benny, disguised as a contestant. He said his name was Roland, but Groucho said his name was Rodney during rehearsal. Now I thought, "Oh, that's cute... Rodney"... but then, for the final question, Groucho offered "Rodney" (who was really Jack Benny) $3,000 for answering correctly how old Jack Benny really was... and I thought I might bust a gut. He ended up not winning for answering "thirty-nine". LOL! (as I consider using this approach on chat tonight... - just kidding, of course)

For lunch, I headed out with a couple new-found friends to Denny's, one door down. There were eight of us, and we talked about history and lots of fun stuff. I had one of my favorites... a grilled turkey, bacon, tomato and cheese sandwich with a dish of veggies and a side salad. Yum!

Jp

No comments: